Highlights : The Minister of Railways chaired a high level meeting on saturday. The blog contains some of the major decisions took by him:
1. Foot Overbridges (FOBs), platforms and pathways on platform end to be treated as Safety items having highest priority with no restriction of budget. Earlier only the first FOB at a station was considered as essential and subsequent as passenger amenity.
2. For next 18 months, General Managers of Railway zones have been delegated powers without limit for Safety related issues. They shall intimate Financial Commissioner (FC) within a week of sanction for provision, and FC shall confirm the same within 15 days. In case of disagreement, the matter shall be put up to the Railway Board for final decision within the same 15 days.
3. Additional Escalators sanctioned at stations of the Mumbai Suburban system having high footfall with the details to be finalised within 15 days. Similar exercise will be carried out for all high use stations all over India.
4. 200 officers to be relocated from Head Quarters as in field to strengthen ground operations and project implementation.
5. Brilliant and enthusiastic Station Directors are being posted at 75 stations all over India to bring dynamism in operations.
6. Within the next 15 months, CCTV cameras will be installed in all suburban trains in Mumbai with monitoring mechanism. This shall be done in parallel across India as well.
7. Delegation of financial and administrative powers to field units by October 2017 to reduce red tape and push development and delivery.
These steps will lead to improvement in the functioning and operations of railways to ensure improvement in the standards of safety.
Shri Ashwani Lohani – Chairman, Railway Board and all railway board members were present in this meeting along with Shri A. K. Gupta-General Manager of Western Railway and Shri D. K. Sharma-General Manager of Central Railway and security officials of the state govt.
Source : Press Information Bureau