Full form :
Distributed Power Wireless Control System.
Distributed power means that physical power of the train would be distributed at some intermediate points all over the consists at some regular intervals.
The DPWCS helps to provide coupling between locomotives through RF Communication.
DPWCS: Distributed Power Wireless Control System – Terminology for Electric Locomotives
DPCS: Distributed Power Control System –Terminology for Diesel Locomotives
Advantages of DP controlled train over Conventional Trains
Conventional Configuration 1 :
1. Higher coupler forces.
2. Train length limited to 58 wagons in case of UIC braking.
3. Higher Draft/Buff forces
Conventional Configuration 2 :
- Higher tractive effort available.
- Lower coupler forces.
- High risk of error as no automatic safety interlocks available.
Distributed Power Control System
- Capable of simultaneously operating multiple trains equipped with the DPWCS within a radius of 3 km efficiently and without loss/interference in communication.
- Application and release of train brakes with feedback to the lead loco.
- Possible to isolate the defective loco.
- Train parting –Traction zero/Application of brake.
- Operate in the 406 to 407 MHz UHF licensed band.
- Lower Draft/Buff forces.
Development of DPWCS on Electric Locomotive on IR
- First DPWCS was fitted in Electric Locomotive at ELS/KZJ in WAG7 Locomotives (27426 & 27428).
- A system was without Brake Interface Unit(BIU).
- Field trials in Manuguru(MUGR)- KRA(Karepally) section (38.5km)of SCR in lead and Banking Mode.
- Long Haul Trial- MUGR(Manuguru)-BDCR(Bhadrachalam Road)-DKJ(Dornakal Junction)-101km
- Delayed braking & Release time.
- Needed- Synchronized Braking & therefore Brake Interface Unit(BIU) developed.
Some pictures of DPWCS use in IR