As the trails of the “Engine-less” Train-set Train 18, starts the increase in curiosity and excitement of passengers across the nation. Along with excitement there are some questions that they might have in there mind .This might help answer some of those questions.
Train 18 is Indian Railways’ first World Class Engine-less semi high-speed train-set which been manufactured under the ambitious ‘Make in India’ project by I.C.F. Chennai. The cost of the manufacture is less than half of what was the estimated cost of import and technology transfer.
The first prototype will be modified for subsequent production based on the feedback from RDSO (Research Designs and Standards Organisation) which will test it extensively for three months. Train 18 will be able to achieve speeds of 160 km/h. Train 18 will have an aerodynamic (nose cone) driver’s cabin at both ends.
- Diffused LED lighting
- European-style seats
- Disabled-friendly wheelchair parking spaces
- On-board Wi-fi infotainment
- GPS-based passenger information system
- Modern pantry with better heating and chilling equipment
- Personalized reading lights
- Fully-sealed gangways for easy movement
- Automatic sliding doors inside the cabins
- Intelligent air-conditioning system
- Emergency talk back units for passengers
- CCTV surveillance
- Charging points beneath every seat
- Concealed roller blinds and modular luggage rack with glass bottom
- Differently-abled passengers will be able to enter the driving trailer coach using their wheel chairs
- Modular, differently-abled friendly toilets, that will have auto-sensor fittings.
ICF manufactured so coaches would be ICF type?
ICF Chennai stopped the manufacture of ICF coaches way back in 2016 and since then ICF Chennai are manufacturing LHB coaches. Train 18 is also based on LHB coaches. It is regarded as safest train of Indian Railways.
Unlike other trains in Indian Railways which are led by an Locomotive which gives power to the rake, in Train 18 the power is generated via power car which is every alternate coach. Since every alternative coach is motorized,it ensures even distribution of motive power and faster acceleration/deceleration that will save time during train travel.
Any new or different feature?
In the Executive chair car coaches, passengers will be able to rotate the seats in the direction of the train movement.
The train set will likely replace India’s fastest Shatabdi Express between Delhi and Bhopal.